22 May, 2015

spring cleaning


It has been ages since I shared photos of our home on the blog, mainly because until recently it had been in a state of utter disarray during the academic year. Earlier this month my spring cleaning frenzy evolved into rearranging our entire living room (by myself!), which is where Liam and I spend most of our time in the apartment. It's a difficult room to photograph, but I am very pleased with how it looks and love this space now more than ever! 


This post is also an excuse to show off my new (to me) dress form, which my mom found and decided to name Ethel. She's vintage from the '40s and only cost  $50, which was apparently a bargain as they start at $200 on ebay. Now that I have Ethel, my vintage etsy shop is one step closer to becoming a reality. 




The print above the fireplace is a section of a Klimt painting from Ikea and all furniture is vintage/second-hand. No one ever sat in this chair where I had it before, but this is my new favorite spot to read (and blog - I'm sitting here now!).




The branch on our mantle in these pictures never did bloom, so I cheated and cut some from the riverbank by our apartment to set on the shelf. I love having flowers around me but sadly can't afford bouquets on a regular basis, so this is a cheaper alternative. 




This embroidered children's bed cover hanging above the sofa is one of my favorite pieces ever. The theme is indiscernible (a combination of seasons and holidays?) and several of the characters are a bit wonky, my favorite being the kitten with a lazy eye. I also like that Halloween is represented twice while Christmas is mysteriously absent.



As a kid I was enamored with the Kit-Cat Clock hanging behind the counter at a local diner, and in later years I figured it had to have been vintage; it wasn't until recently that I found out the clocks are still manufactured. Little did I know about the pink lady cat model (complete with eyelashes and pearls), but when I saw her I knew she had to be mine. That's it for the living room tour, I hope you enjoyed it!

31 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh wow, your living room looks a dream! You've really made it such a cosy place to read and blog

xx Carina

Jane said...

Your place is soo pretty! Haha I love the cat clock.

Unknown said...

Swooning over your (new) vintage dress form!! Your place is so lovely :)

♡ Dulce

thimble said...

looks lovely! that bed cover is so sweet! I would love to know the story behind it!!

Valerie EnrĂ­quez said...

Your children's bed cover is literally the best thing every designed! So perfect... and the inclusion of Halloween icons makes it all the better. I love those kitty clocks too! I had one as a teenager but lost it along the way, however I think the pink version is a lot cuter than my old one. And good luck with your new Etsy shop, sounds exciting! x

Nancy Wilde said...

everything looks so adorable, girl! well done :) way too lovely to be real.

Winnie said...

I love Klimt and that IKEA print looks so perfect in your living room, it's the cutest space!

RaeAbigael said...

awww sarah, first of all, i want to say that i like the new look of your blog! and secondly, this room is the loveliest! i want my living room to be as comfy and as lovely as yours. I bet you enjoy hanging around there :)

xoxo, rae
http://www.raellarina.net/

The Mad Twins said...

ooooooooooh myyyyyyyyyyyyy!!! you're living room is beautiful! And the blanked the vintage clock are really adorable

Coco Cake Land said...

your place is adorable~ ! i love those classic kitty cat clocks too! ^__^ never seen a pink "lady" one before though... extra cute!

Katie Frank said...

oh Sarah, your flat is a magic place *__* ! i love it :) i wish mine was so clean haha :)
i got your letter, thank you so much for everything!
i'm replying you soon! <3

http://coeursdefoxes.blogspot.com/

Carmen Varner said...

Klimt is one of my favorites. Such beautiful work. Ethel looks like a beautiful addition to the family. :]

// ▲ itsCarmen.com ▲

Paulie Antiques said...

I love this space! It's so cozy! Thank you for your comment dear! :)

love, polly :)

Lorna said...

Your living room is a total dream - it looks so cosy! The Klimt painting is beautiful. I love the flowers, I wish I could have flowers around me all the time too which is probably why I chose a cactus that blooms! Love your blog as always : )

Lorna x

Zuzana said...

You have a beautiful blog!
Love the vibe, and this post!

Enjoy your Sunday! ♥

THE KAWAII PLANET

The Emerald Dove said...

This is such a pretty space! Just found your blog - it is gorgeous. You've definitely got a new follower in me. :)
theemeralddove21.blogspot.co.uk

Fiona said...

What a fun living room tour - how cute is your place - eep! I love all the sweet little details and I'm also curious about those unlovable books - the covers look amazing!

Rebecca said...

Your home is so sweet and perfect! I love all the pretty vintage details! Ethel is so awesome and such a great find at that price! I do adore that cat clock as well, so happy they are still making them!

Rebecca
www.winnipegstyle.ca

Natalie Hughes said...

THANK YOU for the darling comment! And same to you! This post is totally dreamy. I want a cat clock!! x

fiona said...

Hello Sarah,

It's Fiona from Malaysia, accidentally found your blog, and the pictures and stories are so pretty. Your home is lovely and very cozy! Thank you for the tour, we enjoyed it and get inspired! have a very lovely day.

fiona

Life's a shoe said...

This is such a gorgeous space! loving it!

lifeisashoe

Hannah said...

Oh man, I love the pink kit kat clock, never seen that one before?! I have the black but I think I want the pink one now...!! Lovely photos! xxx

Kati said...

Oh my, this room is just adorable! The chair is too pretty and I also love your Ethel!

Have a great weekend,
-Kati

P.S.: Thanks for leaving such nice comment on my last post!

Alksne said...

Absolutely love your space!

Maxime Loncke said...

aw, your living room looks so cozy! I love the blue couch & your coffee table is too pretty! am I wrong or do you have a new banner? it's so cute! ❤❤❤

Fox & Fabric

Eatlovemerry said...

Gorgeous space! xo

Eatlovemerry

Annalise said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Laura said...

The place you live in with all those
cute decorations belongs to my "interior goals" -
I would love to have a flat so well decorated and
lovely as yours one day. :)

la-ailurophile.blogspot.de (<- my new blog) ;)

Kailey said...

Yay I love this post! I have always been enamored with those kitty clocks too - you are making me want to buy one even more!

modenfer said...

Your room looks like coming directly from a fairy tale! I love it! And your Kit-Cat Clock is so adorable :-)))

Ginngi Doll said...

Your home is so beautiful! I love the print on that chair in the first picture, it's so nice!

Blog| www.thecinemadoll.com